Many students start at a community college and then transfer to a four-year college after a year or two. u To save money, many students who want a bach- elor’s degree take their general education courses (e.g., English, math) at a community college, and then transfer their credits to a four-year college. u It’s up to a four-year college to say which credits they will accept. While credits in academic courses such as English, math, and science generally transfer, four-year colleges usually do not accept credits in career-oriented courses such as dental hygiene and automotive technology. u Community colleges have counselors and advisors available to help students choose courses that will transfer. u Students with specific questions about a course or program should contact the four-year college they plan to attend. Transferring to a Four-Year College