6 College Recommended Courses Four-year colleges generally recommend that students take the following college preparatory courses in high school: 4 years of English 3 – 4 years of math (including Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II) 3 – 4 years of science 2 – 3 years of one foreign language 3 years of social studies 1 year of fine or performing arts College bound students should complete all of the above recommended courses if possible. Students who haven’t taken all of these courses may be required to take remedial and/or additional courses once they’re in college. Students who haven’t taken several of the above courses may want to con- sider starting at a community college or at a college’s branch campus. The requirements for admission are less competitive, the classes are smaller, and there's less academic pressure. Students can transfer to a four-year college (or the main campus) after a year or two. It’s important to note that competitive schools and programs consider the abovetobetheminimumrequirements. Theyrecommendthatstudentschal- lenge themselves by taking advanced, honors, AP, and IB courses whenever possible. As a general rule, high school students should take as many college preparatory math, science, English, social studies, and foreign language courses as they can handle. Four-Year High School Plan A four-year high school plan is a listing of the courses students intend to take during their freshman, sopho- more,junior,andsenioryears. Whenmakingafour-year plan, students and parents need to take the following into consideration: high schoolgraduationrequirements,collegerecommendedcourses,careerplans, and if the student is an athlete, athletic eligibility requirements. A student’s four-year plan should be developed during the eighth or ninth grade. It should then be reviewed and revised each year with adjustments made for academic performance, personal interests, revised career plans, and changes in course offerings. For information and advice on which courses to include in your four-year plan, talk to your counselor.